Alan Mason Historical Studies Fund
This fund was established to assist research on the history of Geoscience within New Zealand. It is named the Alan Mason Historical Studies Fund to mark the contribution that Alan Mason has made to the history of New Zealand Geoscience. Applications for this award shall be in the form of a proposal related to the history of Earth science in New Zealand. Awards will be relatively modest, <$700, and likely to cover some of the expenses of undertaking historical research or a contribution to publication costs.
Nomination template link below.
1. In 2000-01, the Geoscience Society of New Zealand established a fund to assist research on the history of geoscience within New Zealand. It is named the Alan Mason Historical Studies Fund to mark the contribution that Alan Mason has made to the history of New Zealand Geoscience.
2. The capital for the Fund shall be invested prudently, and the interest shall be used as follows: at least one third shall be added to the capital sum, with the intention that the capital sum shall increase annually; up to two thirds shall be available to make an award or awards, the recipient(s) to be selected as set out in the following clauses.
3. Applications shall be called for not more than once a year, and not necessarily every year, as decided by the Committee of the Society. Initially, the Committee may decide to let the interest accumulate and build up the capital sum.
4. The Committee shall advertise the availability of the award in the the Geoscience Society of New Zealand Newsletter, and wherever else may seem appropriate. [Initially it is assumed that the award(s) will be relatively modest, and likely to cover some of the expenses of undertaking historical research or a contribution to publication costs].
5. An application for the award shall be in the form of a proposal related to the history of Geoscience in New Zealand.
6. The decision on the making of the award(s) shall be based on the merit of the proposal(s) submitted, which shall include the historical importance of the proposed work to be undertaken and/or published.
7. Selection of the successful applicant(s) shall be made by the Awards Subcommittee of the Society, and shall include advice from the Convenor of the Historical Studies Group within the Society. The decision shall be subject to approval by the Committee of the Society.
8. The recipient(s) of an award shall be expected to publish the results of the research in an appropriate journal, and to publish a summary in the newsletter of the Society.
9. The funds for the Alan Mason Historical Studies awards shall be included in the Geoscience Society of New Zealand Awards Trust, but shall be accounted for and reported on separately from other Awards Trust funds.
10. (a) Any income, benefit or advantage shall be applied to the charitable purposes of the Awards Trust funds;
(b) No member of the Geoscience Society of New Zealand (Inc.) or any person associated with a member shall participate in or materially influence any decision made by the organisation in respect of the payment to or on behalf of that member or associated person of any income, benefit or advantage whatsoever;
(c) Any income paid shall be reasonable and relative to that which would be paid in an arm's length transaction (being an open market value);
(d) The provisions of subclauses (a)-(c) above shall not be removed from this document and shall be included and implied in any document replacing this document.
The nomination template is here .
Date due is September 1.