New membership benefit announced
Geoscience Communication with Primary and Intermediate Schools – new online course
GSNZ is pleased to endorse a new online science communication course being offered by Julian Thomson of Out There Learning Ltd.
As part of our commitment to deliver value for your subscription, the GSNZ is delighted to offer a generous 30% discount off the full price of the course to all our members.
NB you need to be logged into the website and a current member to be able to access this page.
About the course
This insightful course is designed to help any scientist who wishes to deliver inspiring and rich outreach engagements with primary schools. It will suit both those who have limited experience or understanding of education at primary and intermediate level, as well as those with previous experience.
The content covers:
- Your rationale for engaging with schools
- Understanding teachers’ needs
- Understanding students and their needs
- Catering for different learning styles
- How to use storytelling to initiate inquiry learning
- Ways to grab audience attention and maintain it
- The pros and cons of presentations, hands-on activities, field trips and multi day events
- Making your own tailor made school engagement plan.
If you would like to contact Julian with any questions about the course, email firstname.lastname@example.org
"Julian provides the knowledge and tools necessary to actively engage teachers and students, with easy to follow presentations and exercises"
Jenny Stein, Geologist and science communicator
"This is an exceptional program - authentic, engaging, and highly informative"
Dr Andrew Martin, Antarctic scientist
"This course provides a very clear roadmap for scientists to engage with schools. You will finish the course with such a good plan you'll be excited to get into the classroom. Best of all, approaches are outlined that will enhance the school visit experience for everyone involved."
Dr Ursula Cochran, Earthquake Geologist